On occasion, we all experience some degree of forgetfulness. However, when memory problems begin to disrupt everyday lives, they may indicate early signs of a more serious medical condition and should be examined more carefully.
What are some of the early signs to watch for?
- Frequently placing items in unusual places
- Unable to retrace steps to find them
Problems with abstract thinking
- Change in the ability to work with numbers
- Difficulty managing monthly bills
- Problems following directions
- Difficulty performing tasks which once seemed easy to complete
Confusion with place and time
- Forgetting where you are or how you got there
- Difficulty reading maps
- Trouble finding a location that once was familiar
Problem with words or conversation
- Difficulty following or participate in a discussion
- Struggling to find the right words
If the above warning signs occur more frequently, it is important to pursue preventive strategies and seek medical advice.